The Innard World



I’m not accustomed to the pick of seats but I took full advantage of it, scanning the dining area for the prime real estate in the back with a panoramic view. The few times I’ve been to Hog’s Apothecary the place is brimming with bodies sipping on one of the 38 beers (and wine) on tap and talking and laughing in pub-like fashion. Of course, by the time I left the place looked like I expected, but at 6 pm there was a family, young boy in tow, eating quietly on one of the sparsely populated communal tables and a smattering of people seated at the bar and on stools against the window.

A complete newbie to HA, Sonia couldn’t concentrate on the menu, the beer selection, and our New Year’s catch up.

“Do I want beer?” she mused. “I haven’t had been in so long.”

She turned the menu over for the fourth time.

Our waitress stopped by, “Can I help you with anything?”

“Yes please,” I replied before Sonia could politely shoe her away. “She needs help figuring out what she’d like to drink.”

She smiled and crouched behind Sonia and began asking questions about her preferences and then began pointing out probable matches. “The Harlot and Luminesce are both possible matches for you; would you like to taste them?”

Two tastes later and Sonia was happily sipping on her Luminesce and I managed to sneak in our Butcher’s Coffer- a beautiful plate of potted pork, hogs head terrine, and chicken liver mousse (the selections change fairly often). I’m generally not a fan of innards. In the past I’ve steered clear of anything other than foie gras (illegal in California). But the innards are what draw me into Hog’s Apothecary. Not that that their food isn’t good, it is, but “oh my!” the innards.

The mousse, presented on rounds of olive oil drizzled toast, spread like silk. A dollop of jam added a touch of rouge and sweetness as a counterpoint. The hogs head terrine is chunkier in nature with some distinct and welcomed texture that yielded pleasantly with each bite. It was paired with pungent grained mustard which I subdued with a little jam to mellow it all out. The potted pork had a layer of unappetizing fat congealed across the top, but once the knife breaks through and meat and fat are spread, it melts into a delightful spread accented with sauerkraut to intensify the subtle flavor.
Sonia smiled at me eagerly, which was good because I’d been pretty bossy about ordering it.

We followed the Coffer with a mixed green salad. Sonia was thrilled but it seemed lacking to me, beautiful greens with little else to distance it from any decent produce section in the Bay Area. The mixed grill. On the other hand, was epic. A small quail nestled beneath lamb chops and pork belly against a field of farrow. Everything was moist and distinct in flavor. The meat was tender. Our waitress dropped off our food and a few minutes later circled back with steak knives that we never used. The meat was fork tender.
The standout of the mixed grill was by far the lamb. It had a touch of gamey flavor in the best way. It was aromatic and pink. The pork belly – delicious, if a little fatty, and the quail which tasted a little smoky and earthy and more flavorful than I’d expected, were both delightful and would have been standouts on any number of plates, but contrasted against the lamb there was no question. I saved my lamb for last. After the last trails of farrow and cabbage and pork and quail were swept onto my fork and disappeared behind my lips, I savored my last pieces of lamb so it would linger indefinitely on my tongue.

We could have left our meal there – two out of three for me, three out of three for Sonia – but we were feeling lucky. And so we scanned the short dessert menu and settled on a Meyers lemon crumble. What arrived looked more like a way to hide a fallen cake, a bowl full of literal crumbles of lemon cake mixed with fresh blueberries and a dollop of yogurt on top.

I cocked my head to the side, and crinkled my nose, more out of curiosity than anything else. It wasn’t what I’d expected. Undeterred, we dove in. true to its description; it was both lemony and crumbled. The blueberries offered a wonderful explosion of both color and a muted sweetness. The yogurt was a strange addition, it didn’t hold the coolness of an ice cream or the decadence of actual whipped cream and so instead it sat more as a placeholder for a better idea.  It wasn’t a bad dessert it just wasn’t on par with the innards or the lamb…but then, few things are.


Comments

Popular Posts