Biscuit Adulation



“They don’t need butter,” Sharon Lorraine's short-shorn salt and pepper hair framed her face. “I’ll bring you some if you want it, but you don’t need it.”

I smiled, adamant about trying it as the Next Door’s head chef declared I should, but equally weary of biscuits leaving me parched and desperate for milk or water to quench the thirst dry bread induces. Less problematic but also not satisfying, I anticipated a biscuit conduit. Warm and soft, sometimes biscuits are simply an excuse to melt butter into a pool and mix in syrup. I sometimes bake up frozen biscuits for dessert for that purpose. 

Neither of these proved the case.

These biscuits…these biscuits were the point. They were the only point. I grasped a bumpy biscuit and broke a golden piece off. It was still warm from the oven and the scent wafting from it was buttery and inviting. My first bite was naked. I wanted to taste exactly what I was working with. What I was working with was the perfect biscuit.

Sharon was right, no need for butter. Really there is no need for anything; but the berry jam (strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, and others) is made in-house and sat vibrantly in a little dish on the plate. I had to at least taste. A dab on the corner of my biscuit and I was immediately pleased. It was sweet but not syrupy. The temperaments of the various berries were balanced. The tart smoothed out by the sweet.  A few berries remained recognizably intact.

“This isn’t just jam,” Duran remarked. “My mom and Aunt Bertha made great jam when I was growing up, but by the time it was pressure cooked and then stored for six months it was all the same consistency. This,” he held up a corner of biscuit with the red jam glistening, “this is fresh, like it was made this morning. Pieces of fruit are still recognizable.” He smiled for a moment and then popped the piece in his mouth.

Ms. Lorraine, a friend of my brunch partner Duran, brought the partial order -two biscuits instead of the usual three- as a sampling courtesy. 

“It’s a good thing she didn’t bring out three,” Duran smiled broadly at me. 
“We’d just have to split the third one,” I offered.
 “Nope.” he grinned deviously, “I’d have to stab you.” 

We laughed. But the biscuits are that kind of good.

The Cure
While the biscuits were my favorite part of brunch and turned out as a beautiful way to end the mea, the meal itself was worth the trip out. “The Cure” (the menu item containing two pieces of fried chicken, a Belgian waffle, and scrambled eggs) was a satisfying portion, pleasantly presented, and, most importantly, delicious.
Everything came out hot. A small and easily overlooked detail but chicken and waffles release heat at drastically different rates. I’ve had my fair share of soggy tepid waffles next to steaming chicken. But these waffles came out a satisfying malty brown with deep grooves to catch fresh blueberries and strawberries and the pat of butter and drips of syrup I added. The chicken skin was crispy and the inside juicy. The eggs were soft scrambled and together the trio made a sweet/salty treat.

Generally, my rule is to order differently than my food buddy, and to split the difference. It allows me to work my way through menus. But Sunday Duran and I both settled on “The Cure”   meandering conversation about the Dunn verdict, coming out, friendship, and, well, biscuits. 

Next time I’ll have to try the blue corn pancakes with salsa verde and house chicken sausage or maybe the carne adovado with grits and a sunny side up egg, not to mention the $12 bottomless mimosas. I’m kicking myself a little that I didn’t follow my usual ordering rule, but my clean plate proved the disappointment by what I didn’t try was definitively made up by what I did. 

As we prepared to walk the few blocks down to the Berkeley Flea Market I made a beeline to Ms. Lorraine to confirm what she already knew. 

“You are right,” I smiled effusively, “they don’t need butter!”

She followed us to the door and handed us a menu, “Come back and see us for dinner,” she smiled hospitably. I scanned the menu as we walked out: cider brined grilled pork chop with ginger vanilla sweet potatoes and collards, Thai coconut curry fish stew (with a vegan option if you need it), and swiss chard enchiladas. 

I’ll be back.

Comfort food for friends
3290 Adeline St., Berkeley, CA
Dinner Thursday-Sunday 5pm – 9pm
Breakfast/brunch Saturdays and Sundays 8:30am – 2pm

Comments

Popular Posts