Love in Cookie Form



I followed the recipe...even allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator instead of skipping ahead, resting be darned. And for the second time the cookies were tasteless dry golf balls.

Lizzie swears she liked them. Swears her and her niece and nephew fought over them when they arrived in the mail.  I shook my head and dove online, looking for a recipe I could bend to my will and Lizzie's desire for oatmeal carrot cookies.
Delicious, but not right

First I found a recipe that, while delicious, lacked both the oatmeal and even a pretense of something healthy-ish. No oats, lots of butter. These cookies taste like cupcakes or muffin tops - light and delicious but not what I was looking for. Of course, now I can't even find that recipe to try again. 

Enter Two Purple Figs, a site I think I'll visit again. The straightforward recipe left ample room for my own creativity.

Before baking
Changes:
  • toasted the oats before adding them into the cookie dough
  • exchanged raisins for grated carrots at a 1:1 ratio
  • used a mix of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour
  • used a mix of chia and flax seeds
The result was a  nutty and satisfying cookie with a great deal of texture and just the right amount of give. I think they'll serve their purpose well- hopefully Lizzie will like this batch.

As an aside, these would easily lend themselves to lactation cookies:
  • substitute  two tablespoons of the flax seed for flax seed meal
  • add 1 tablespoon of wheat germ
  • add 2 tablespoons of brewer's yeast
I'll try this out on  my next pregnant friend!

Comments

Popular Posts